Emory School of Medicine
The Emory University School of Medicine Project was a five level, 102,000 SF post-tensioned concrete frame structure located in the center of Emory's main campus. The structural design was very robust and included pile caps on deep foundations, elevated pan slabs with drop beams and an inordinate amount of vertical structure (Shear walls, core walls and isolated columns) for a 5-story building.
The new building (Shown in the center) was and addition to two existing buildings (Anatomy and Physiology Wings) which were built in 1917 and 1950, respectively. The existing structures required considerable structural enhancement work and included a cast-in-place bridge structure, on multiple levels, to connect the new and old structures together.
This Emory School of Medicine was an environmentally friendly, "GREEN" building which required 2000 Concrete Structures to take special steps in order to comply with LEEDS requirements mandated by Emory University. This included segregating all waste materials into separate dumpsters and incorporating special materials into the project. Most incorporated materials were manufactured within close proximity to the jobsite and contained a considerable amount of recycled materials.
The project was completed 2 weeks ahead of schedule with no lost time accidents.